Friday, September 11, 2009

Revisiting: Som's Noodle House

Som's has been a favorite of H and I...it's love at first bite! With it's affordable prices
it's enough to make us keep coming back =) Hence,we decided to have an early dinner at
this hole in the wall during one of our trips to Makati.


Food Spread:

PORK NOODLE SOUP Php
Slices of barbequed pork with rice noodles


He says:
Now this was my meal. And like always, Som's has not disapointed me. Their pork noodle soup was very tasy with a lotta pork. Sarap talaga this place! (This place is really delicious!) My only complaint is the small serving of noodles which they compensate with togue or bean sprouts. Since it's a place of great food for a price that can't be compared to other Thai restos, I guess that's how they make a decent profit...so i can let that little thing slide. My final verdict with the meal, try it! Much better than SOME but not all higher end Thai restos.

She says:
I like the soup...it reminds me of La Paz Batchoy.

RED CURRY TOFU Php 120.00
Tofu cubes mixed with eggplant and spices cooked in Thai red curry.


This my staple order whenever we'd eat at Som's. I'm a sucker for tofu...it's my health
food. I love, love this dish! I hope though that they will simmer the tofu in the curry
sauce longer so the tofu can absorb more of the curry flavor.



TOM KA GAI Php 120.00?
Thai coconut milk soup with chicken and mushrooms.


It was my first time to order this dish. When the soup was served, I had to stop myself from gagging =P. Thoughts swimming in my mind: " eeewww! what's this???...a bowl of starch???...a bowl of warm milk???...a bowl of breakfast oatmeal???? ( all of which i don't like =p )" I almost couldn't bring myself to touch nor taste the soup but being a tightwad that Iam, I couldn't let any food go to waste...so I took a sip of the milky white broth. I'm glad I did because it changed my initial perception of the dish. I liked it's tanginess and the chicken strips were tender to the bite. I especially liked the soup paired with my Red Tofu Curry ( which i found a little too sweet instead of spicy ) because they complement each other. You can always add chili sauce to add a little spice or a hint of color to this otherwise pale dish.


Som's will always be in our list of to-go-to place for cheap eats. Just be sure you're not the maarte type because it is still street food served and eaten on sidewalk tables. Flies and bugs are about. If you're cool with the above... go for it and you surely will not regret it.

On a side note : While we were waiting for our food to be served, we saw a worker running after a mik-mik ( a.k.a. rat..a big one at that! )...he finally caught it in the bushes where some of the tables are laid out...so be careful cuz you'll never know what's lurking under the tables...scary!


SOM'S NOODLE HOUSE
5921 Alger St. Poblacion
Makati City
(02) 757.80.79

Tomas Morato,
Quezon City
(02) 386.21.48

No comments:

Post a Comment